5. The importance of support with the use of augmentative communication systems at home and in the community.
- When students use their augmentative communication systems at home and in the community it reinforces the communication skills learned at school and helps them to generalize them to other settings.
- Teachers need to be actively involved and ensure that there is an appropriate carry over at home and in the community.
- Training should be provided to the families at home, and this could include strategies for expanded use of the system, and new vocabulary.
- It is important to consider the family functioning and cultural diversity prior to implementing the system at home.
- It is important that the individual have support from family and friends at home, and to keep using the communication skills taught at school.
- Tips for parents to promote the use of augmentative communication
- provide direct instruction and use of the system.
- identify vocabulary that is relevant to the home.
- teach family members to provide opportunities for communication and to wait.
- provide simple data and evaluation sheets for home and community use.
- give parents permission to expand the child's communication
- keep it simple
Dell, A., Newton, D., & Petroff, J. (2012). Assistive technology in the classroom. (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.